BLAS

markr
Folks,

    I'm a systems adminstrator, installing carrot^2 under CentOS 5.3,
for a researcher. I d/l the current version in the last couple of days.
When we try to run it, it complains that there's no native BLAS
routines. I after research, I find that those are linear algebra routines.

    HOWEVER, your documentation has nothing on installing carrot^2, nor
does it have any list of dependencies. I don't know whether the native
BLAS routines are part of the skd - we have java-openjdk 1.6 devel,
source, and plugin installed - or whether it's a separate package, and
if so, *which* one.

    Please advise... and fix your documentation! Not everyone knows
what's on your personal systems....

    Thanks in advance.

        mark
--
Mark Roth
Senior Systems Administrator

Re: BLAS

Hi Mark,

The good news is that BLAS is optional, the only dependency of Carrot2 is Java Runtime Environment version 1.5 or higher, and that's what we state on the download page.

I'll make the message sound less like an error and more like an information (though I think it's logged on the INFO rather than ERROR level...).

Finally, there's only two of us volunteering our spare time to Carrot2, so sometimes we need to make hard choices between writing code, answering posts on the mailing list and documentation... ;-)

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 23:23, Mark Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hy, Stanislaw,

Stanislaw Osinski wrote:

> The good news is that BLAS is optional, the only dependency of Carrot2
> is Java Runtime Environment version 1.5 or higher, and that's what we
> state on the download page.
>
> I'll make the message sound less like an error and more like an
> information (though I think it's logged on the INFO rather than ERROR
> level...).

Oh, good - I'll let him know.

> Finally, there's only two of us volunteering our spare time to Carrot2,
> so sometimes we need to make hard choices between writing code,
> answering posts on the mailing list and documentation... ;-)

I understand that one. <g> Y'know, one of my two published articles
(they were both in Sys Admin, which went under a month or two after the
second one...) is explicitly about the thing *no* *one* likes doing,
documentation, and if you'd like to read it
<http://24.5-cent.us/egoless_documentation.doc> One thing you get to do
is dump it on other people to help you write it....

        mark