Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Evan Cooperman
Hi,

We've been using circles for a little while now and are getting a very positive response from our users.  Because of this we want to enhance it a bit and make it more usable/suited to our users' needs.  So I have two questions:

1. Expanding groups programmatically: Is there a way to expand/collapse a group programmatically?  I looked through the API and documentation but was unable to find a call to do so.  I see Options that will define the color for the group expander as well as the hover color and outline color for it.  I also see an event handler that determines when an expander is pressed by a user...but I don't see any call to actually expand/collapse a group.  We'd like for all the groups in the circle to be expanded by default.

2. 1 vs 2 Circles: When does the Carrot2 visualization expand to 2 circles?  Our visualizations only ever show 1 Circle when clustering ~100 results, but most of the examples I see online show 2 circles when clustering ~100 results.  Our documents have both titles and snippets and our snippets are just as long as most of the example snippets we see on the demo site.  I can't seem to find documentation around how this is determined and can't figure out whether we just need to be clustering more (or better?) data or if there are config settings we can tweak that will generate the additional circle, or if it's something else altogether.

If anyone has any insight into either of these issues I'd greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Evan

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Dawid Weiss-2
> 1. Expanding groups programmatically: Is there a way to expand/collapse a
> group programmatically?  I looked through the API and documentation but was

A parent is automatically expanded when a group is selected, so a
temporary workaround would be to set up a JS callback on
onModelChanged event, then inside assign selection property with all
group IDs (and deselect them immediately).

I've added a JIRA issue to add an API to expand/collapse groups
programmatically.
http://issues.carrot2.org/browse/CIRCLES-81

> 2. 1 vs 2 Circles: When does the Carrot2 visualization expand to 2 circles?
> Our visualizations only ever show 1 Circle when clustering ~100 results, but
> most of the examples I see online show 2 circles when clustering ~100
> results.

Can you post a screenshot of that? I don't know if I get you right...
in general, the first circle is the first "level" of groups, the
second circle is the second "level" of groups (sub-groups of the first
level).

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote
> 2. 1 vs 2 Circles: When does the Carrot2 visualization expand to 2 circles?
> Our visualizations only ever show 1 Circle when clustering ~100 results, but
> most of the examples I see online show 2 circles when clustering ~100
> results.

Can you post a screenshot of that? I don't know if I get you right...
in general, the first circle is the first "level" of groups, the
second circle is the second "level" of groups (sub-groups of the first
level).
The reason for this is that the open source algorithms can only create flat cluster sets (no hierarchical clusters), so you only see one ring. If you do clustering e.g. by domain name, you should be seeing the hierarchy.

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Dawid Weiss-2
I thought Evan was referring to the Carrot2 demos...

"most of the examples I see online show 2 circles when clustering ~100 results"

so, to clarify -- there are two on-line demos -- one is carrot2.org
and the other carrotsearch.com. They use different algorithms (our
proprietary algorithm is hierarchical and thus shows more circle
rings).

Dawid

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Stanislaw Osinski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> JIRA [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> 2. 1 vs 2 Circles: When does the Carrot2 visualization expand to 2
>>> circles?
>>> Our visualizations only ever show 1 Circle when clustering ~100 results,
>>> but
>>> most of the examples I see online show 2 circles when clustering ~100
>>> results.
>>
>> Can you post a screenshot of that? I don't know if I get you right...
>> in general, the first circle is the first "level" of groups, the
>> second circle is the second "level" of groups (sub-groups of the first
>> level).
>>

> The reason for this is that the open source algorithms can only create flat
> cluster sets (no hierarchical clusters), so you only see one ring. If you do
> clustering e.g. by domain name, you should be seeing the hierarchy.
>
> Staszek

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Hi Evan,

> user...but I don't see any call to actually expand/collapse a group.  We'd
> like for all the groups in the circle to be expanded by default.

You may want to know that we've just added an API to do this. There is
a startup parameter called "expandAll" which governs initial group
expansion. In Circles, you can also disable the initial roll-in
animation. Check out the settings tab in the live demo once it deploys
(in a few minutes I guess).

http://download.carrotsearch.com/circles/1.2.5-dev/demo/

The free ZIP bundle can be downloaded from there as well if you want
to integrate right away. Just note that the API (parameter and method
names) may change before the release (although the startup parameter
will most likely remain what it is right now).

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Evan Cooperman
Excellent, thanks guys!  I'm always impressed by how responsive you two are, it makes my life substantially easier when I get responses so quickly, so know that it doesn't go unnoticed!

Best,
Evan

Re: Carrot Search Circles Javascript API

Dawid Weiss-2
Thanks! Realistic user needs are the best motivation for adding new features.

Dawid