Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

cy163
Hello ALL,

I looked through the carrort2 docmuent, and saw three ways to utilize carrot2. Howerver, I am not sure which can fit to my needs. Please give me some advices.

My project  is a web application to provide text clustering service. First, the user visit a jsp web page to specify the folder where documents to be clustered are located. Then the full path of the folder is transfer to the carrot2. I would like carrot2 can both do clustering on those documents and express the clustering result in tree view and/or flash-based view.

In the application, should I use carrot API, or carrot doc clustering server(dcs). I am puzzled about this.

Felix

Re: Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

Dawid Weiss-2
I wonder how come your application is a Web service, but then clusters
local folders (?). I assume you are somehow transferring this Web
service to the client (Java WebStart), or pushing the documents to the
server. In any case, I think the API would be more convenient for you
to do the clustering, since you will deal with larger numbers of
documents.

Dawid

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:10 AM, cy163 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello ALL,
>

> I looked through the carrort2 docmuent, and saw three ways to utilize
> carrot2. Howerver, I am not sure which can fit to my needs. Please give me
> some advices.
>
> My project  is a web application to provide text clustering service. First,
> the user visit a jsp web page to specify the folder where documents to be
> clustered are located. Then the full path of the folder is transfer to the
> carrot2. I would like carrot2 can both do clustering on those documents and
> express the clustering result in tree view and/or flash-based view.
>
> In the application, should I use carrot API, or carrot doc clustering
> server(dcs). I am puzzled about this.
>
> Felix

Re: Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

cy163
Thanks Dawid for your reply.

Actually, the user will be asked to upload their documents which will be clustered to a sub-folder under a specified folder on the server before they start the clustering operation.

If so, I wonder whether the API is still the best choice for me?

Currently, according to  the example program ClusterDocumentList.java, I create a testing program with Carrot2 API, and can get the cluster result successfully. Next, I want to show the clustering result in tree view and/or in flash-based visualiztion. How to do this. However, i could not find any example programs in the carrot document. Please give me some instructions

Felix

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 3:10 AM, cy163 <cy163@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello ALL,
>

> I looked through the carrort2 docmuent, and saw three ways to utilize
> carrot2. Howerver, I am not sure which can fit to my needs. Please give me
> some advices.
>
> My project  is a web application to provide text clustering service. First,
> the user visit a jsp web page to specify the folder where documents to be
> clustered are located. Then the full path of the folder is transfer to the
> carrot2. I would like carrot2 can both do clustering on those documents and
> express the clustering result in tree view and/or flash-based view.
>
> In the application, should I use carrot API, or carrot doc clustering
> server(dcs). I am puzzled about this.
>
> Felix

Re: Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

Dawid Weiss-2
> Actually, the user will be asked to upload their documents which will be
> clustered to a sub-folder under a specified folder on the server before they
> start the clustering operation.

The API used directly will be fine.

> in flash-based visualiztion. How to do this. However, i could not find any
> example programs in the carrot document. Please give me some instructions

There are no examples, because these applications (the webapp) is an
example on its own -- we support these applications only so that
people can take them and modify them to their needs entirely. The
source code is in the repository.

Re: Carrot doc clutering server or carrot API

cy163

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote
> Actually, the user will be asked to upload their documents which will be
> clustered to a sub-folder under a specified folder on the server before they
> start the clustering operation.

The API used directly will be fine.

> in flash-based visualiztion. How to do this. However, i could not find any
> example programs in the carrot document. Please give me some instructions

There are no examples, because these applications (the webapp) is an
example on its own -- we support these applications only so that
people can take them and modify them to their needs entirely. The
source code is in the repository.

Thanks Dawid,

If there are not any examples to follow, it is really difficult for me to implement the tree-view result rendering on an IE browser. I just do not have any idea about this.

I carefully look through the javadoc of the soure code. There are many classes. I do not know which ones are related with tree-view rendering.

Would you please help me by identifying them?

Would you please help me by giving me some instructions on how to render the tree-view on a IE browser?

Felix