Carrot2 usability in real application

knowledge
Hello everybody! I'm new to carrot2, but I love it. The clustering outcome is amazing!

As I understand, carrot uses other search apis (eg google search api, bing search api) to query these search engines and wait for answers. Then, it clusters the answers.

The problem is that these apis are NOT free and the free part is very limited.
- Bing 5000 Transactions/month where a transaction is one request that returns one page of results. Retrieving multiple pages will result in multiple transactions executed
- Google 100 queries per day

As a result, the cost from third party services is huge and unusable.

Am I missing something or is there any other solution??  :(

Re: Carrot2 usability in real application

Dawid Weiss-2
> The problem is that these apis are NOT free and the free part is very limited.
> - Bing 5000 Transactions/month where a transaction is one request that
> returns one page of results. Retrieving multiple pages will result in
> multiple transactions executed
> - Google 100 queries per day

Correct.

> As a result, the cost from third party services is huge and unusable.

Depends on how many queries you have and what your revenue stream from
these is, I guess.

> Am I missing something or is there any other solution??  :(

You're missing the fact that these are merely demos of the technology.
Most people will plug in Carrot2 clustering on top of their own search
service (elastic search, solr, lucene) and then they don't have any
additional cost to fetch search results (other than more hardware
power needed to serve these of course).

Re: Carrot2 usability in real application

dreadjr
Yeah we pass everything into carrot, as far as search and textual information; performing the searches before we pass it in.  You have to weigh the cost but in our case it is worth it, I also wouldn't say the cost is huge but it isn't free.  Most cases anything past the first page  of results is of very little use.  Also most of the time the top 3 results are what the majority of people look at anyway.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Dawid Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem is that these apis are NOT free and the free part is very limited.
> - Bing 5000 Transactions/month where a transaction is one request that
> returns one page of results. Retrieving multiple pages will result in
> multiple transactions executed
> - Google 100 queries per day

Correct.