Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

sealeyj
Hi,

I am looking to develop a custom source for carrot2 and running into problems setting up the projects in eclipse.

After importing all of the src files from svn into eclipse i am receiving the following error when compiling:

Errors occurred during the build.
Errors running builder 'Java Builder' on project 'carrot2-util-attribute'.
org/apache/velocity/context/Context

I am using eclipse version 3.6.2 with JAVA version 1.6 and have followed the "Setting up Carrot2 source code in Eclipse IDE" section in the documentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Re: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

Dawid Weiss-2
James,

Is this problem present on a fresh checkout? Can you tell us which
Eclipse/platform you are using? This has to do with annotation
preprocessors, but I don't know the cause yet.

Dawid

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM, sealeyj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to develop a custom source for carrot2 and running into
> problems setting up the projects in eclipse.
>
> After importing all of the src files from svn into eclipse i am receiving
> the following error when compiling:
>
> Errors occurred during the build.
> Errors running builder 'Java Builder' on project 'carrot2-util-attribute'.
> org/apache/velocity/context/Context
>
> I am using eclipse version 3.6.2 with JAVA version 1.6 and have followed the
> "Setting up Carrot2 source code in Eclipse IDE" section in the
> documentation.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> James

RE: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

sealeyj

Hi David,

Thanks for the rapid reply, this was using a fresh checkout using Eclipse 3.6.2 (also newly downloaded), I have also tried with 3.5.  I’m using Java 1.6 but have also tried 1.5 is this related to the order in which the projects are built.

James

Is this problem present on a fresh checkout? Can you tell us which
Eclipse/platform you are using? This has to do with annotation
preprocessors, but I don't know the cause yet.

Dawid

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM, sealeyj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking to develop a custom source for carrot2 and running into
> problems setting up the projects in eclipse.
>
> After importing all of the src files from svn into eclipse i am receiving
> the following error when compiling:
>
> Errors occurred during the build.
> Errors running builder 'Java Builder' on project 'carrot2-util-attribute'.
> org/apache/velocity/context/Context
>
> I am using eclipse version 3.6.2 with JAVA version 1.6 and have followed the
> "Setting up Carrot2 source code in Eclipse IDE" section in the
> documentation.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> James

http://carrot2-users-and-developers-forum.607571.n2.nabble.com/Compiling-Carrot2-Source-in-Eclipse-tp6241994p6242216.html

To unsubscribe from Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse, click here.

To the extent this electronic communication or any of its attachments contain information that is not in the public domain, such information is considered by MedImmune to be confidential and proprietary. This communication is expected to be read and/or used only by the individual(s) for whom it is intended. If you have received this electronic communication in error, please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and delete the original message and any accompanying documents from your system immediately, without copying, reviewing or otherwise using them for any purpose. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

Dawid Weiss-2
I'll see what I can do, James, but try this: refresh all projects,
then select clean->all projects and see if this helps. Eclipse is
buggy and these things are hard to predict in larger projects.

Dawid

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:16 PM, sealeyj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> Thanks for the rapid reply, this was using a fresh checkout using Eclipse
> 3.6.2 (also newly downloaded), I have also tried with 3.5.  I’m using Java
> 1.6 but have also tried 1.5 is this related to the order in which the
> projects are built.
>

> James
>

> ________________________________

I've tried cleaning all projects and building them again to no avail, I've looked at the build order but that seems to continue to throw a lot of errors.

Is there any version of Eclipse you'd recommend?

Re: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

Dawid Weiss-2
I'm looking into this right now. Stay tuned.

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM, sealeyj <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've tried cleaning all projects and building them again to no avail, I've
> looked at the build order but that seems to continue to throw a lot of
> errors.
>
> Is there any version of Eclipse you'd recommend?

Re: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

Dawid Weiss-2
1. Downloaded Eclipse for RCP, win-64 bit:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/technology/epp/downloads/release/helios/SR2/eclipse-reporting-helios-SR2-win32-x86_64.zip

2. Checked out Carrot2 trunk:

svn co https://carrot2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/carrot2/trunk carrot-trunk

3. Imported projects into Eclipse using:

File->Import, General->Existing Projects into Workspace

At this point there are errors in org.carrot2.antlib project because
ANT_HOME classpath variable
is not defined. I simply removed this project from the workspace (or
define that classpath variable).

4. Change global encoding in Eclipse to UTF-8:

Window->Preferences, General->Workspace, Text file encoding: UTF-8

Everything compiles fine.

I suspect your problem may be that you're trying to import the
projects into your workspace by copying; don't --
they need to reside in the checkout structure (because they have
dependencies on jar files outside of projects
scope -- annotation preprocessors, etc.).

You can also download target platform definitions for Workbench and
unpack it (a mix of unixish command here, but you'll know what to do):

wget http://download.carrot2.org/eclipse/eclipse-target-platform-3.6.2.zip
unzip *.zip
cd tp
mv tp/3.6.2 carrot-trunk/workbench/org.carrot2.workbench.target/

then open (ctr-alt-r; seek for resource)
org.carrot2.workbench.eclipse-3.6.2.target and click "set as target
platform" in the upper right corner.

Dawid

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM, Dawid Weiss
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking into this right now. Stay tuned.
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM, sealeyj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've tried cleaning all projects and building them again to no avail, I've
>> looked at the build order but that seems to continue to throw a lot of
>> errors.
>>
>> Is there any version of Eclipse you'd recommend?

RE: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

sealeyj

Thanks David for your help, it was because I copied the projects to my workspace.  Everything is building correctly now.

http://carrot2-users-and-developers-forum.607571.n2.nabble.com/Compiling-Carrot2-Source-in-Eclipse-tp6241994p6243935.html

To unsubscribe from Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse, click here.

To the extent this electronic communication or any of its attachments contain information that is not in the public domain, such information is considered by MedImmune to be confidential and proprietary. This communication is expected to be read and/or used only by the individual(s) for whom it is intended. If you have received this electronic communication in error, please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and delete the original message and any accompanying documents from your system immediately, without copying, reviewing or otherwise using them for any purpose. Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Compiling Carrot2 Source in Eclipse

Dawid Weiss-2
> Thanks David for your help, it was because I copied the projects to my
> workspace.  Everything is building correctly now.

Ok, excellent. I should have thought about it first, sorry it took me so long.