How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

cy163

Hello ALL,

I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.

I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.

Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.

Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

cy163
Furthre to my last post. To clarify my question,I post again.

My question is how to implement tree-view and flash-based visualization with carrot API. Furthermore, I would like the visualization is rendered in a web page, say within a jsp web page.

cy163 wrote

Hello ALL,

I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.

I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.

Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.

Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

Dawid Weiss-2
Felix,

I have already given you all the help I could, really. The source code
that embeds flash visualization we use in Carrot2 is in the SVN
repository -- yes, there are many classes and yes, it's not trivial,
but what other kind of help do you expect to get?

Dawid

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, cy163 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Furthre to my last post. To clarify my question,I post again.
>
> My question is how to implement tree-view and flash-based visualization with
> carrot API. Furthermore, I would like the visualization is rendered in a web
> page, say within a jsp web page.
>

> cy163 wrote:
>>

>> Hello ALL,
>>

>> I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.
>>
>> I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.
>>
>> Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to
>> Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.
>>

>> Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

cy163
Thanks you Dawid very much indeed.

Indicating the location of source codes related  visualization is very helpful.

Next, I will do my best to work it out by myself. Certainly, I may still need your help on the way.

Felix

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, cy163 <cy163@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Furthre to my last post. To clarify my question,I post again.
>
> My question is how to implement tree-view and flash-based visualization with
> carrot API. Furthermore, I would like the visualization is rendered in a web
> page, say within a jsp web page.
>

> cy163 wrote:
>>

>> Hello ALL,
>>

>> I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.
>>
>> I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.
>>
>> Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to
>> Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.
>>

>> Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

cy163
Sorry,

I visited the page

http://download.carrot2.org/stable/javadoc/

again, but still could not identify the classes related to visualization.

There are 8 sections:
(1) Carrot2 Core
(2) Carrot2 Data Sources
(3) Carrot2 Clustering Algorithms
(4) Carrot2 Results post-processing
(5) Carrot2 Text preprocessing utilities
(6) Carrot2 Attribute Binding
(7) Carrot2 Matrix utilities
(8) Carrot2 Utility classes

Which of them involves the visualizaion?

I think the module involving visualizaion should be a separate class.I have been looking for it.

Or I am totally wrong. I have to create such a class from scrtch by myself?

What I exactly need is some code snippets showing how to handle visualizaition in carrot2 box.

Thanks

Felix

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote
Felix,

I have already given you all the help I could, really. The source code
that embeds flash visualization we use in Carrot2 is in the SVN
repository -- yes, there are many classes and yes, it's not trivial,
but what other kind of help do you expect to get?

Dawid

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, cy163 <cy163@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Furthre to my last post. To clarify my question,I post again.
>
> My question is how to implement tree-view and flash-based visualization with
> carrot API. Furthermore, I would like the visualization is rendered in a web
> page, say within a jsp web page.
>

> cy163 wrote:
>>

>> Hello ALL,
>>

>> I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.
>>
>> I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.
>>
>> Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to
>> Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.
>>

>> Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

cy163
Further thoughts.

Using carrot api to implemt visualization seems to be complicated.

Hence, I plan to use document clustering server  (dcs). I think I can send XML format data (some texts to be clustered) to dcs; as stated,  dcs can return the cluster result with XML format.

Howerver, I am not sure if the return XML data containing both info about clustering reult and info about visualizing the cluster result. That is, I can render the tree-view and flash-based view according the returned data in my jsp program.

Could you please explain this for me

JIRA dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl wrote
Felix,

I have already given you all the help I could, really. The source code
that embeds flash visualization we use in Carrot2 is in the SVN
repository -- yes, there are many classes and yes, it's not trivial,
but what other kind of help do you expect to get?

Dawid

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, cy163 <cy163@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Furthre to my last post. To clarify my question,I post again.
>
> My question is how to implement tree-view and flash-based visualization with
> carrot API. Furthermore, I would like the visualization is rendered in a web
> page, say within a jsp web page.
>

> cy163 wrote:
>>

>> Hello ALL,
>>

>> I have difficulty with using carrot2 API.
>>
>> I do not know how to implement visaulization of clustering result.
>>
>> Please give me some instructions and suggestions. I am totally new to
>> Carrot2. I will apopreciate the help very much.
>>

>> Felix

Re: How to implement visulization of clustering result when using Carrot2 API

Using carrot api to implemt visualization seems to be complicated.

Visualizations are not part of Carrot2 API. What you're talking about is a demo web application (search.carrot2.org) located in the SVN here:

http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/

Hence, I plan to use document clustering server  (dcs). I think I can send
XML format data (some texts to be clustered) to dcs; as stated,  dcs can
return the cluster result with XML format.

Howerver, I am not sure if the return XML data containing both info about
clustering reult and info about visualizing the cluster result.

The XML returned by the DCS contains only the documents and clusters, it wouldn't make much sense to include visualization-specific information in that stream. However, you can reuse some parts of the demo web application I mentioned above. Below is a very brief description of how the web application works:

1. The Java part outputs various kinds of XML, including:

http://search.carrot2.org/stable/xml -- the list of document sources and algorithms
http://search.carrot2.org/stable/xml?query=test&type=DOCUMENTS -- documents for a query
http://search.carrot2.org/stable/xml?query=test&type=CLUSTERS -- clusters for a query
http://search.carrot2.org/stable/xml?query=test&type=CARROT2 -- documents and clusters in the standard Carrot2 format

2. XML is transformed to HTML using XSLT (by an XSLT filter: http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/WEB-INF/web.template.xml?r=trunk#l104). You'll find the XSLT stylesheets in http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/skins. The style sheets have been factored in such a way as to eliminate duplication, the main xsl files used for transformation are (these correspond to different "skins"):

http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/skins/fancy-compact/page.xsl?r=trunk (all modern browsers, excludes IE6)
http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/skins/fancy-large/page.xsl?r=trunk (all modern browsers, excludes IE6)
http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/skins/simple/page.xsl?r=trunk (all browsers, includes IE6)

3. The client side layer uses JavaScript/jQuery to implement the dynamic aspects (like the cluster tree). The scripts have been factored using the jQuery plugin pattern and are available here:

http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-webapp/web/skins/common-dynamic/js/plugins/ext/carrot2

We made the demo application open source for people to read the code and reuse it. Before you do so, you may need to go elsewhere (google :-) to study the technologies it uses (HTML/CSS/JavaScript/jQuery/XSLT) if needed.