Normalization Methods

seyfullahd
What is the difference between normalizeColumnL1 and normalizeColumnL2 methods in MatrixUtils.  I can understand the normalizeColumnL2, its normalization is done according to L2 norm (Euclidean distance) as I see from the javadoc. But I don't understand L1 norm. Can you please explain what L1 norm is?

Thanks in advance,

Seyfullah

Re: Normalization Methods

Stanislaw Osinski-3
Hi,

The L1 norm is also called the Manhattan distance:

S.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM, seyfullahd <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the difference between normalizeColumnL1 and normalizeColumnL2
methods in MatrixUtils.  I can understand the normalizeColumnL2, its
normalization is done according to L2 norm (Euclidean distance) as I see
from the javadoc. But I don't understand L1 norm. Can you please explain
what L1 norm is?

Thanks in advance,

Seyfullah

Re: Normalization Methods

seyfullahd
Stanislaw Osinski-3 wrote
Hi,

The L1 norm is also called the Manhattan distance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_distance

S.
Thanks :)

Re: Normalization Methods

ted.dunning

Both L_2 and L_1 are special cases of p-norms.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM, seyfullahd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stanislaw Osinski-3 wrote
> Hi,
>
> The L1 norm is also called the Manhattan distance:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_distance
>
> S.

Thanks :)