Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Tom Pines
Hello,

I just noticed that a number of mahout classes might be getting removed in a future mahout release http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Removing-deprecated-and-unused-code-td1396143.html#a1396143
<<
Ted Dunning ... Code to nuke now unless needed for compile...

Ted's list seems to include a number of mahout classes used by Carrot2 code.

Curious about how this will be addressed.

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Dawid Weiss-2
Hi Tom,

If Mahout removes these classes we will certainly find a workaround of
some sort. The easiest is to simply fork Mahout Math's classes and
repackage them inside Carrot2.

Dawid

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Tom Pines <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just noticed that a number of mahout classes might be getting removed in a
> future mahout release
> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Removing-deprecated-and-unused-code-td1396143.html#a1396143
> <<
> Ted Dunning ... Code to nuke now unless needed for compile...
>>>
> Ted's list seems to include a number of mahout classes used by Carrot2 code.
>
> Curious about how this will be addressed.
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Re: Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Grant Ingersoll-4
You should let us know what you need in Mahout.

On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> If Mahout removes these classes we will certainly find a workaround of
> some sort. The easiest is to simply fork Mahout Math's classes and
> repackage them inside Carrot2.
>
> Dawid
>
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Tom Pines <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just noticed that a number of mahout classes might be getting removed in a
>> future mahout release
>> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Removing-deprecated-and-unused-code-td1396143.html#a1396143
>> <<
>> Ted Dunning ... Code to nuke now unless needed for compile...
>>>>
>> Ted's list seems to include a number of mahout classes used by Carrot2 code.
>>
>> Curious about how this will be addressed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom

Re: Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Dawid Weiss-2
I'll try to summarize the stuff we use once I come back from vacation
(2 weeks), but it is basically linear algebra stuff (matrix
multiplications and decompositions).

Dawid

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Grant Ingersoll
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should let us know what you need in Mahout.
>
> On Sep 1, 2010, at 3:58 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> If Mahout removes these classes we will certainly find a workaround of
>> some sort. The easiest is to simply fork Mahout Math's classes and
>> repackage them inside Carrot2.
>>
>> Dawid
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Tom Pines <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just noticed that a number of mahout classes might be getting removed in a
>>> future mahout release
>>> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Removing-deprecated-and-unused-code-td1396143.html#a1396143
>>> <<
>>> Ted Dunning ... Code to nuke now unless needed for compile...
>>>>>
>>> Ted's list seems to include a number of mahout classes used by Carrot2 code.
>>>
>>> Curious about how this will be addressed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom

Re: Plans for deprecated mahout code dependencies ?

Hi Grant,

I must admit I have yet to browse through the Mahout mailing list to find out what's going to be removed (I saw some mention of colt matrix stuff) and if it's going to be replaced by some other code.

What we're using is the original Colt's matrix classes (org.apache.mahout.math.matrix.*) and the related utilities (org.apache.mahout.math.function.*, org.apache.mahout.math.list.*, org.apache.mahout.math.GenericPermuting). Based on these we implemented a number of matrix decomposition algorithms, plus an JNI-backed implementation of Colt's 2D matrix, which can give huge (up to 10x) performance boosts when working with large matrices.

Two strategies of handling these spring to my mind:

1. If Mahout keeps providing the matrix stuff (whether Colt or some other API), I can try to refactor our code to use it. We could even take a step further and move our higher level matrix stuff (decompositions, native matrix implementations) to Mahout so that more people are aware of it.

2. If Mahout stops providing matrix routines in any form, we could take over these, add our decompositions and the JNI stuff and release everything in a way similar to HPPC (http://labs.carrotsearch.com/hppc.html) at some point.

S.