Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Ezhil

Hi,

We have integrated Solr index with Carrot2. Thanks for all your support.

We would like to implement Access Control List (ACL).
Basically based on user permission search results should be filtered and displayed to the user.
Please provide your valuable comments to acheive the same.
Early reply is highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu, T

Re: Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Ezhil
Hi,

Can I expect experts advice on this topic please...

We would like to implement Access Control Layer (ACL) in Carrot2 search.
Basically based on user permission search results should be filtered and displayed to the user.
Please provide your valuable comments to acheive the same.

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu,T

Hi,

We have integrated Solr index with Carrot2. Thanks for all your support.

We would like to implement Access Control List (ACL).
Basically based on user permission search results should be filtered and displayed to the user.
Please provide your valuable comments to acheive the same.
Early reply is highly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu, T

Re: Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Dawid Weiss-2
> Can I expect experts advice on this topic please...
> We would like to implement Access Control Layer (ACL) in Carrot2 search.

I don't know what you mean by ACL in the context of clustered search
results. Perhaps you should explain what your application context is,
but I doubt such a feature will be of general interest -- this is
something that you yourself should write for your needs and particular
use case scenario.

Re: [C2-devel] Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Ezhil

Hi Dawid,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I will explain my use case in details.
- Consider I am searching for 'Java' in Carrot2 search - I may get plenty of results (urls). But all the urls need not authorised to me. So, url should be filtered based on the user.

- So each search result (URL) should be validated to check whether particular user has permission to click the link.

Actually I have tried to customize QueryProcessorServlet.java to get the search results URL (using  List <Document> docs = processingResult.getDocuments()).

My concern is how do I update the filtered search results again in ProcessingResult.

Because there is no API to set filtered documents in processingResult.setDocuments(listOffFilteredDocuments);

Is my starting point is achievable or can you suggest some other class file to achieve the filtered effect?

Basically I need to pass the search results to other routine (to validate the urls) and get the filtered search results for display in carrot2.

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu, T

On 8/31/09, JIRA [hidden email] (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I expect experts advice on this topic please...
> We would like to implement Access Control Layer (ACL) in Carrot2 search.

I don't know what you mean by ACL in the context of clustered search
results. Perhaps you should explain what your application context is,
but I doubt such a feature will be of general interest -- this is
something that you yourself should write for your needs and particular
use case scenario.

View message @ <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3552385.html" target="_blank">http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3552385.html
To start a new topic under Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=dGV6aGlsbXV0aHVAZ21haWwuY29tfDYwNzU3MXwtMTI5OTQxODE5Mg==" target="_blank">click here.

On 8/31/09, JIRA [hidden email] (via Nabble) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I expect experts advice on this topic please...
> We would like to implement Access Control Layer (ACL) in Carrot2 search.

I don't know what you mean by ACL in the context of clustered search
results. Perhaps you should explain what your application context is,
but I doubt such a feature will be of general interest -- this is
something that you yourself should write for your needs and particular
use case scenario.

View message @ <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3552385.html" target="_blank">http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3552385.html
To start a new topic under Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=dGV6aGlsbXV0aHVAZ21haWwuY29tfDYwNzU3MXwtMTI5OTQxODE5Mg==" target="_blank">click here.

Re: Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

I will explain my use case in details.
- Consider I am searching for 'Java' in Carrot2 search - I may get plenty of results (urls).

Do you want to implement ACLs for any possible search engine (including public ones, like Google/Bing/Yahoo)? If not and you'll be working with a search engine you can control (Solr, Lucene, whatever), it's best to implement the ACL checking on the search engine side. On the Carrot2 side you'd only need a document source for your specific engine, which will probably need to pass credentials to your search engine. Some example custom document source:

http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-examples/src/org/carrot2/examples/source/ExampleDocumentSource.java?r=trunk

If you need to add ACL to any generic search engine, I'd write a simple filtering component like this (code off the top of my head, may not compile):

public class AclFilter extends ProcessingComponentBase implements IDocumentSource
{
    @Input
    @Output
    @Processing
    @Attribute
    @Internal
    private List<Document> documents;

    /**
      * Your application-specific authorization token.
      */
    @Input
    @Processing
    @Attribute(key = "auth")
    private String authToken;

    public void process()
    {
        // filter this.documents here
    }
}

Then you'd need to insert this component into the processing pipeline (QueryProcessorServlet) so that:

                if (RequestType.CLUSTERS.equals(requestModel.type)
|| RequestType.FULL.equals(requestModel.type)
|| RequestType.CARROT2.equals(requestModel.type))
{
logQuery(Level.DEBUG, requestModel, null);
processingResult = controller.process(requestParameters,
requestModel.source, requestModel.algorithm);
logQuery(Level.INFO, requestModel, processingResult);
}
else if (RequestType.DOCUMENTS.equals(requestModel.type))
{
processingResult = controller.process(requestParameters,
requestModel.source, QueryWordHighlighter.class.getName());
}

 would become:

                if (RequestType.CLUSTERS.equals(requestModel.type)
|| RequestType.FULL.equals(requestModel.type)
|| RequestType.CARROT2.equals(requestModel.type))
{
logQuery(Level.DEBUG, requestModel, null);
processingResult = controller.process(requestParameters,
requestModel.source, AclFilter.class, requestModel.algorithm);
logQuery(Level.INFO, requestModel, processingResult);
}
else if (RequestType.DOCUMENTS.equals(requestModel.type))
{
processingResult = controller.process(requestParameters,
requestModel.source, AclFilter.class, QueryWordHighlighter.class.getName());
}
Then in doGet() you'd also need to pass your authorization token:

        // Unpack parameters from string arrays
final Map<String, Object> requestParameters = MapUtils.unpack(request
.getParameterMap());
requestParameters.put(AttributeUtils.getKey(AclFilter.class, "authToken"), "token" /* from cookie, from request, etc */);

That should be pretty much it :-)

Re: [C2-devel] Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Ezhil
Hi Stanislaw,

Thanks for your valuable input. I want to implement ACL for Solr search results (which is integrated with Carrot2).

I will try with the options quoted. Thank you so much.

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu, T
Hi,

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-examples/src/org/carrot2/examples/source/ExampleDocumentSource.java?r=trunk" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/carrot2/trunk/applications/carrot2-examples/src/org/carrot2/examples/source/ExampleDocumentSource.java?r=trunk

View message @ <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3558605.html" target="_blank">http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3558605.html
To start a new topic under Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=dGV6aGlsbXV0aHVAZ21haWwuY29tfDYwNzU3MXwtMTI5OTQxODE5Mg==" target="_blank">click here.

Re: Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Thanks for your valuable input. I want to implement ACL for Solr search results (which is integrated with Carrot2).

In that case, you may want to try doing Solr-based ACL first. One benefit of this approach is that users will be able to get more results. For example, if there are 200 documents matching query "x", 100 of which are viewable by user "A", and the other 100 viewable by user "B", and user "A" requested 100 results for query "x", the user should get all 100 documents he's allowed to see. If you went with filtering on Carrot2-side, depending on the ranking algorithm the user may get from 0 to 100 documents in that case :-) (user A will get 0 results for query "x" if the ranking algorithms put all 100 documents of user B at the top).

Re: [C2-devel] Reg: Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control List (ACL)

Ezhil
Stanislaw,

I got your point. Let me give a try to implement Solr based ACL first. Thanks for your valuable input.
Really helpful for me to focus. Thanks again.

View message @ <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3559927.html" target="_blank">http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3559927.html
To start a new topic under Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=dGV6aGlsbXV0aHVAZ21haWwuY29tfDYwNzU3MXwtMTI5OTQxODE5Mg==" target="_blank">click here.

Help Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control Layer (ACL)

Ezhil

Stanislaw,

I am planning to implement ACL in Carrot2 side.

-I have Solr indexes which is integrated with Carrot2.

In QueryProcessorServlet,
 * after invoking controller, able to get processingResult
 (ie processingResult = controller.process(requestParameters,requestModel.source, requestModel.algorithm))

 * Through processingResult, able to get list of Documents.

 * I can iterate the list to get the URLs.
 * For each URL, I can validate whether the user has permission to view the URL
 * Based on the user permission, new list can be formed

I need help here
 * how do I set the newly formed list ( listofDocuments) in ProsessingResult class

Basically after getting search results from Solr and before displaying to the user - I need to implement ACL.

Please correct me if my approach is wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
Ezhilmuthu, T

On 9/1/09, Stanislaw Osinski (via Nabble) <<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=3564826&amp;i=0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]> wrote:

View message @ <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3564826.html" target="_blank">http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3564826.html
To start a new topic under Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Carrot2 Users and Developers Forum, <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://n2.nabble.com/subscriptions/Unsubscribe.jtp?code=dGV6aGlsbXV0aHVAZ21haWwuY29tfDYwNzU3MXwtMTI5OTQxODE5Mg==" target="_blank">click here.

Re: Help Integrating Carrot2 search results with Access Control Layer (ACL)

I need help here
 * how do I set the newly formed list ( listofDocuments) in ProsessingResult class

You don't need that. Just do what I suggested previously (custom filtering component):

http://n2.nabble.com/Reg-Integrating-Carrot2-search-results-with-Access-Control-List-ACL-tp3533319p3558605.html