adding visualization for webapp

hero789
hello, i want to add another visualization capability to the webapp, beside the standard circles, and foamtree but i dont know how i tried to digg in the xslt pages and so on , but i don't understand the structure , i think i i must add another "view" in the webapp config.xml but when i did and it shows the default one for th search result , i need help to show me to develop custom page for viewing visualization thanks;

Re: adding visualization for webapp

Dawid Weiss-2
This won't be that easy, I'm afraid... Staszek may be able to help
you, but he's on holidays right now -- check back in a few days.

Dawid

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM, hero789 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello, i want to add another visualization capability to the webapp, beside
> the standard circles, and foamtree but i dont know how i tried to digg in
> the xslt pages and so on , but i don't understand the structure , i think i
> i must add another "view" in the webapp config.xml but when i did and it
> shows the default one for th search result , i need help to show me to
> develop custom page for viewing visualization thanks;
> Nabble.com.

Re: adding visualization for webapp

This won't be that easy, I'm afraid... Staszek may be able to help
you, but he's on holidays right now -- check back in a few days.

I shouldn't be that bad :-) Take a look at these two commits that added added a new visualization (FoamTree) in version 3.5.0:

The commits above modify all the files you need to touch to add yet another visualization.

Re: adding visualization for webapp

hero789
hello ,
thank s for your reply , i followed the  instructions u told me about , and now i have a new panel view for my new visualization , but i don't know now  how to add my new visualization there  , and how to pass the data to it, does  carrot2 webapp assumes that it must be flash  , or not ?
 i want  to add new network  visualization based on java script not flash .

Re: adding visualization for webapp

Stanislaw Osinski-3
thank s for your reply , i followed the  instructions u told me about , and
now i have a new panel view for my new visualization , but i don't know now
how to add my new visualization there  , and how to pass the data to it,
does  carrot2 webapp assumes that it must be flash  , or not ?
 i want  to add new network  visualization based on java script not flash .

The webapp doesn't have well defined extension points, do you'd need to modify the code a bit. Here's a rough guide:

If you add name of your view here:

then the jQuery.visualization.dataUrl global JavaScript variable will get defined to contain the URL to XML stream (in Carrot2 format: http://download.carrot2.org/head/manual/#section.architecture.output-xml) with documents and clusters for the current query. You can request this URL using AJAX to get the documents and clusters and feed your visualization with it.

If you need to add new JavaScript files to the webapp, just put your new file in /carrot2-webapp/web/skins/common-dynamic/js/plugins/ext/carrot2, JAWR will load it automatically.

An alternative to hacking the webapp code would be using the latest release of the Document Clustering Server (http://project.carrot2.org/download-dcs.html) which now supports Ajax and write the UI from scratch. The downside is that you'd need to re-implement the bits of webapp that you'd like to reuse, but the advantage of using the DCS is that you'll have complete control over your client side code.